Monday, October 18, 2010

física o química

Literally translated, "física o química" means "physical or chemical" or "physics or chemistry." But it is also the title of a popular Spanish TV series, una serie en español. física o química is my FAVORITE serie and I also decided that Spanish television deserves its own post. físca o química is on every Tuesday, making it one of the best days during the week. Tuesday is the perfect night for it to be on because I don't have class the next day so I don't feel bad about staying up late to watch the whole thing :) I don't get home from class until like 9:30 pm on Tuesday, so I just eat dinner and then it's time for my favorite TV show.

Also, you should know that TV is a central part of most Spanish families lives. Based on my experience here, what my friends here have said, and what our program staff told us before we moved in with our families, it is VERY true. Our program staff told us that most likely we'd be watching a lot of TV and to be sure and take advantage of the opportunity to ask our families questions about what's happening and to make conversation. And it really is a good way to start a conversation. In a lot of Spanish homes, the TV is on almost all the time. It isn't being watched all the time, but it's almost always there, just in the background, no matter what they're doing--eating, cleaning, studying, talking, etc. In my Spanish home we watch a lot of TV. Whenever I come home from school before dinnertime, my madre is almost always, without fail, watching TV. After dinner we watch TV (or I go do my homework). On the weekends when they don't have anywhere else to go, TV. And thus, the post dedicated to Spanish television.

Because I know you're all dying to know, física o química is about a bunch of high school (colegio) age students and their teachers. The serie has been on for a couple of years, so there are all these convoluted relationships and plot lines, most of which I still know nothing about. My madre keeps telling me new bits each week, and I'm like OH I had no idea the weird girl (with the pigtails who doesn't like the kid in the wheelchair who is in love with her) was the sister of the attractive young male teacher (who was having a threesome with a female teacher and the janitor) who always wears really skinny ties. I like this show because it's funny (although half the time I miss the funny....they talk REALLY fast), light-hearted, but also dramatic and heart-wrenching at times. I am already emotionally attached to some of the characters. For example, I was quite devastated when I found out one of my favorite teachers on the show, the philosophy professor, has AIDS. It's so sad, especially because she's in love with the new biology professor. Also, the transition music is SO good. And the new, fascinating plot line to follow is that the principal of the school and his girlfriend (one of the teachers) are having serious relationship problems. The principal is basically a whiny child who can't commit, shaved his beard (and now looks more foolish than ever) because he couldn't commit, and is clearly very intimidated by the strong and independent woman that is his girlfriend.

Well, that's probably enough plot re-telling of a show that most of you are never going to see.

This isn't going to be news to anyone else, but it was kind of a revelation for me. I realized that way more than half of my comprehension of this TV show (as well as other shows and real-life situations), is based on body language, tone of voice, and the accompanying music (well there's no music in real life....). I probably only really catch about 60-70% of the actual words the characters say, but I still understand what's going on most of the time. If there was no music and everyone spoke in a monotone, I would be very lost. It's just like the way that little kids learn to speak (I think I speak Spanish at about a 3 year old level, haha), they don't understand every word but they pick up on all the non-verbal cues. Like I said, not big news, but I'm a little slow realizing these things for myself sometimes ;)

For some reason, I really love Spanish commercials. At home, I cannot stand TV commercials. But Spanish commercials are just better. Maybe it's just because they're in Spanish, but they seem to be funnier, less annoying, and better made. Maybe it's also because there are only commercials every half hour or so during a TV show. Of course, they last for like 5 minutes when they are on, but I can stand it much better.

I had originally planned to say a lot more about Spanish TV, but now I just want to finish this post and move on to something else. More later, when I need to procrastinate for studying for midterms again!

No comments:

Post a Comment